Koko crater pano

Koko crater pano
best view of the island

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mount Olympus via Waahila ridge trail

No, I haven't fallen off the earth or gave up.. yet! I've been doing bunch of hikes but just trying to have my gopro fun. This hike I used both cameras so finally took enough shots to add blog post.
 The start of the trail. Today I wanted to hit summit of Mt. Olympus since ive only did it once. I've been up this trail a zillion times but always seemed to run out of time.
 Time to brush off the boots and start walking!! This is one of the best trails imho. Not that super hard, lots of different scenery, lotsa of shade on those hot days and tons of people. Think I passed 30-40 people today (Sunday).
 Start of trail just follows a dirt road. Before when I hiked this, it wore me out. But, all those Koko Crater hikes etc got me in hiking shape!! Now easy as pie.... mmmm pie.
 Ooo, speaking of shade!! Today was the first time I hike this trail where there wasn't much mud at all! Guess all those sunny days finally dried it up.
 Usually I take the trail that goes straight here but being lazy guy and since my legs were killing me from my last hike up Koko Crater!! I decided to use my weight vest (with my water bottles and stuff came out to almost 50 pounds!!) going up, next day I could barely walk!
 Think this was the worse mud I've seen today! Kind of slippery so be careful on this spot!
 Now you head down a bit. Lots of roots and trees to hold on to. Just be careful of all the roots since they are slippery.
 Thats the target for this hike! that mountain in the middle background. Looks kind of far, don't it? Even tho its a ridge trail, there are tons of trees to hide under. I didn't even get a sunburn!!
 One of the many rock sections you hop down. No real climbing but still fun. Going down is the easy part.

 Few shots of the shade. Trail is pretty even with few med climbs.


 Finally view of hmm is that town? Waikiki? Manoa? But, still a beautiful day for a hike.

 And made it to the start of the Mt. Olympus part of the hike. Even tho this part of the trail isn't maintained, the trail is in awesome shape. Soo many people hike it so its perfect!

 More great scenery.... Took way to many pictures... again. Fun to try photoshop them all but I was rushed at work so could only do a quick edit..


 And now the fun begins. The trail starts to go up, up up! Not many ropes on this trail and NO stairs! Would make this trail even busier if they did this one like Kuliouou. Some parts are slippery with the mud.
 Getting closer the the end!! But still far!!
 And even closer! Now you can see the trail going up side of that ridge.
 Same view and yeah, its Waikiki etc.
 Mud stairs, my favorite... NOT! This are so narrow you end up with mud on the sides of you pants.
 Looks like finally climb.. but its not. lots of hills up and down to you finish.

 Ah, this one IS the final hill!! Just short sprint up to top! nah
 Came a long way! Too bad I forgot to put in fresh batteries on my GPS unit! No idea how far I've hiked!! That sucks.
 Right before you summit, you get nice view towards Kaneohe? Kailua? ahh just say Windward side!
 Boy the mountains on this side of the island are steep!!
 Oops, forgot to take pictures of  the hike to the Ka'au crater lookout section. It's a short hike on the KST with few narrow parts and the most mud on the trail.
 Great view of Diamond head. Wonder how far away that is?



 Last time I came here, had low clouds so made this shot really cool looking. The trail down towards this looked pretty steep  but doable. But, since my car is on this trail.. yeah, thats my excuse!


 After lots of pictures, it was time to head back. Still picture perfect day and my legs felt great. Think needed a hike to stretch them out!
 And last shot along the trail of the small cave at the beginning of the trail. I want to hide in there and scare hikers!!
And my panoramic of Diamond head to town. Wish I brought a real camera with me to get a better shot. I brought only 2 water bottles on this hike and left the camel back at home! Bad idea! I ran out of water half way on the hike back to car. But, in the car I carried my water jug full of ice water!! Life saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment