Koko crater pano

Koko crater pano
best view of the island

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Koko x 2

Weather looked iffy (on friday) and it was late, past 10am already so only place to go.. Koko Crater again ugh. I think im going up there way to many times! But rain=mud and I hate muddy trails so..
Do we ever have bad days in Hawaii? Hot hot again!! Took me 27 minutes up this time, guess im slowing down in old age!
I've been here so many times I'm running out of things to take a picture of..
Cactus? Since it was still early and didnt have to get home till 3pm, I was thinking of where to go. Thought of Mariners Ridge but saw someone on Koko Head so off I went..

I just left my car at Koko Craters parking lot and walked up the road towards Kalanianiole Hwy(ugh, how on earth you spell that?)
You walk past the gun range. Today didnt have as many people shooting guns today.
And here's the "trail", just walk up up up that road. Only thing to worry about is the cars that sneak up behind you (if you are wearing ipod earphones).


Halfway up there is a bunker? on the right side so I had to go take a peek and saw this suitcase full of bottles of ??. Kinda smelly in there so I didnt bother to try peek.
View towards Koko Crater. Pretty easy hike up Koko Head, even tho I just did Koko Crater.
Yeah, I know that is one crappy pano shot lol. But im soo tired i just said screw it. I took a better one last time and was too lazy to grab the link for it.
And again, in no time at all I was at the top. It was dripping hot because there are no trees to give you some shade.
And this is the road down to the back of Koko Head. How on earth those trucks drive down this road I have no clue..
Heres a shot of up the road. Its pretty steep but since no dirt or rocks, your shoes get nice grip.
Not much to take pictures of on this trail until you get back to Hanauma bay side.
Now this part is hard!! You have to watch your step carefully because these rocks are slippery!!  One miss step and you will fall, trust me on this!
I found Koko Crater's small brother!!
And here's the final climb back up to the top. Steep but no that bad.. unless you look behind you and see...
A crappy storm coming my way!! I tried to get up that trail as fast as I could do safely and didnt make it! I got soaked from the rain. I found a tiny bush to hide under but didnt help much because it was windy too!
And final stats for just the Koko Head trail. 1200 feet in 3.27 miles. And only 1 hour and a half to do whole thing. Perfect match for Koko Crater hike. By time you pau with both, you will be pooped (if you outta shape like me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment