Koko crater pano

Koko crater pano
best view of the island

Friday, August 5, 2011

Koko x2... again!

Another rainy looking day so only place to go is Koko Crater (July 29 friday). Not much pictures this time because ive been there way to many time. Started about 10:15 and took about 25 min to the top.
overcast, rainy days make perfect conditions to head up Koko Crater! Relaxed at top for 30mins or so chatting with other hikers before heading down. Since it was early and I didnt get too tuff a workout, decided to do Koko Head again.
Near the top I saw this big "X". OO wonder if any treasure buried here!!
View of my goal! Not that hot today and i made great time up to the top (15 minutes!)
From start of trail to highest point of Koko Head is only 707', so about 500' up in 3/4 of a mile so not that tuff a climb. Headed down the road to the lower part of Koko Head.

About 530' drop in elevation to the lowest point I could get to easily. Going down not that hard but I was dreading the climb back up !!
From up trail I thought all the white stuff was bird droppings but when you get closer, they are white rocks.. maybe coral that got covered by lava? no clue...
Looking back up and boy that looks like a long climb back up, dont it.



Few shots I took because almost time to start hitting home and the sun was coming out which = HOT!
Looks like im on the moon or something...
Random rock thats stuck in the lava. Picture didnt come out way i wanted but too lazy to redo it.
Close-up of one of the white rocks. Really stand out against the black lava.
Time to start up.. looks hard but this part went fast. Just put your head down and go for it!
Lonely plant trying to survive on some tuff location.

The final climb! and this one kicked my butt. Pretty steep, some parts you can crawl up lol.


Start at 305' and climb up to 545" straight up! By time I was at top, I was gasping for breath!!

And final tally for the Koko Head part of the hike. Almost 3 miles with 1116' in climbing. I think the Koko Crater climb is tuff but if you do the whole Koko Head trail, its way harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment