Koko crater pano

Koko crater pano
best view of the island

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Olomana sept version

Wow, I got a saturday off so where to go..... didnt want to go to Koko Crater so Olomana it was. I was thinking about Wailupe again but I figured there would be mud so... pass.

Parked on the bridge and walked over to the guard shack. Konahuanui looked awesome today.
When you're going to hike Olomana, you have to talk to guard to tell him where you're going. All the guards I've met are super friendly. Right past the guard shack is the start of the trail (shortcut). Just hop over the bushes right pass the guard house.
The shortcut trail is pretty steep and slippery. But it gets you to the start of the trail pretty quickly.
When you are almost to the main trail, you finally get a nice view of Olomana. That section before you reach the top of the first peak is really steep.
Doesnt take very long to reach the main trail. I asked the guard if any groups were ahead of me and he said there were two groups about 30 minutes ahead of me. This gave me a goal to try and catch em!!
Lots of roots to give you good traction on the way up!!


Been here so many times I'm running out of new stuff to shoot!!


And finally reaching the top of the first peak!! Great day since it was over cast a lot and still had some nice breeze.

I took a shot of the way I just came and it sure looks like a long walk!
And stats to the first peak!! almost hour of hiking and 1,585 feet in climbing in  a little over a mile.
Those trees look pretty far down ....
Since I was the only one on the first peak, I didnt stick around very long and headed towards the second.
I took gps of the lowest point on the way to the second peak. you climb down about 130 feet. But going down the first isnt hard at all. Just few sections with loose dirt so be careful!

The path up to second peak. Goes pretty quickly.

And the final climb to the top!! Love the rock climbing parts.


Closeup of the rocks almost at the top of second peak. Lotsa of handholds and even tho it looks crumbly, the rocks are pretty sturdy.

View of the first peak. If you look closely, you can see someone standing at the top.
Had to get at least one shot of the small islands.

 Again if you look closely, you can see someone standing at the top.
Took a break at the top waiting for some people who were heading down the third peak. I didnt wanna start down then have to try pass them since some sections are kinda narrow.
Looking back towards first peak I saw a couple coming my way. For a saturday morning, didnt have many people hiking today.
Oops, forgot stats for the second peaks climb! Its less then a 60 ft climb from lowest part between first and second. told you it was easy.And the second peak is almost 100 feet shorter then the first peak.

 They are almost reaching to where i was waiting.  I waited for them to reach the top then headed down. On way down, I met up with the second pair of hikers going up to the second peak from third.
I squeezed past them since I wasnt using the ropes to go down the second and took shot of them going up. Going down ropeless is way harder then going up it ropeless lol
On the way up, I had to stop and grab a shot of the third peak. What a great day, so far....
Again took a shot of the lowest part between second and third. almost a 300 ft drop!!
Keyhole! I read that you climb up to the puka but didnt look that safe and how on earth do u get back down? so i didnt try !!
And final stats for the climb up the third!! its .2 miles in distance (from second peak) and why on earth are the elevation different? lol dumb gps... Had time to eat lunch and as i was drinking my ice cold coke that i stashed in my camelback, I took a peek at the scenery and saw:
Big, ugly rain cloud coming my way!! I packed up quickly and headed down. I didnt wanna get stuck in a downpour while I was still on third peak. Think those rocks might get a bit slippery!!
On way down, saw a couple going down the second peak. I got lucky and the rain passed me by without really pouring but some of the rocks got slippery. Had to slow down and be careful! I waited for the couple at the bottom of third and was chatting with them for a bit. Since neither of them had good shoes on, they passed on going up to the top of third. I tried to convince them but... lol

One last look at the third peak and off to home I went. Think i rushed a bit too much down the mountain cuz my poor knees are sore!!

and final stats!! 3.44 miles total, and almost 3,000 feet in climbing! Crappy part is took me over 4 hours lol

No comments:

Post a Comment