Koko crater pano

Koko crater pano
best view of the island

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Likeke Falls and small kine Maunawili trail

Aug 25th I had free day so wanted to just do something easy so hit the Pali and decided to visit the waterfall below the lookout (Likeke falls). Parked at the Pali lookout, showed my drivers license to the attendant guy so I didnt have to pay for parking and off I went!! First stopped at the lookout to feel the cool breeze and see all the tourist having fun.
then down the old Pali road I went. took a few shots on the way to the Pali hwy since it was a beautiful day!!
Can you picture a bunch of Hawaiian warriors fighting to the death on the cliff, then getting pushed over the side? Scary fall!! Read when they were building the Pali Hwy, they found hundreds of skeltons at the bottom!
Lots of coverage so it wasnt hot at all. just a lazy stroll down the old road. Some parts the plants just about take over the road. After a short climb down you will come to a junction, one trail goes to Waimanalo on the Maunawili trail (super easy trail thats super long! 10miles + one way), and the second trail snakes under the highway towards the Likelike tunnel direction.


Yup, you have to climb down that rickety looking stairs and go under the road.  Be careful since the roof it pretty low and you dont wanna bang your head on it!

Lots of graffiti all over the place so if you like taking pictures of them, perfect spot. Keep following the trail and it will continue on another old, unused road.
You walk along the pillars that hold up the Pali hwy. Still lots of shade but not much breeze. Pretty flat trail/road so the going is pretty quick.
And hears the start of the trail. Just walk to the stone railing and you will find the trail. One the ground near the entrance I found an avacado so if you go now, they are in season!
Since it rained few days ago had a ton of mud!! And i just cleaned my shoes too....

and it gets muddier!! And slippery!! To get to the waterfalls, you follow the trail. At the first junction, go straight across it and keep going. After a bit you will meet another fork in the trail, again follow the one that goes toward Likelike direction (there should be a ribbon on a tree).



And made it!! The falls were flowing nicely. Wish I brought a tripod with me to get some longer exposures hmm or wish I brought a real camera instead of my toy!! Didnt stay too long since I was just goofing off today. Back towards the Pali I went.
Finally could get a shot of the nice skies!! I was doing some geocaching too so I ended up going wrong directions into the woods to another dead end. Wish I took some notes on the location of the caches. Ended up looking for a bunch that were multi-caches ie, they are NOT at the gps coords!! that sucked big time.
I went down the Maunawili trail a bit then checked time and it was getting a bit late so headed back up the old Pali road. On the way back, there was another geocache that i had to try. It was the start of the Likeke falls water supply i guess. Nice easy hike till I came to another waterfall!! But , that one didnt have much of a falls at all just water running down the side of a cliff. Might try there when its raining one day!
saw an old bottle that was stuck in a tree. the tree grew around it so you cant get it out. wonder how long its been there....


oops, forgot to rotate them but you can see pretty long hike! 6 miles and climbed over 2,000 feet! great workout and i had a blast. Even got 2 avacados on the way out. they should be ripe by now!




No comments:

Post a Comment