Koko crater pano

Koko crater pano
best view of the island

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hawaii Loa Ridge with H.O.T.

Today was a fun hike. I got to finally go on a hike with a bunch of fun people from the hiking group H.O.T.(HIking Oahu Trailblazers). We all went to Hawaii Loa Ridge trail  on a cloudy day. Perfect day to go there so again, no sunburning!!
Start of the trail! I've been up here hmm 5 times or so. Always a fun hike but usually muddy and slippery! I've ruined a few pants up here!
And off we go... had a great turnout, almost 20 people! Now thats what you call a group!
Even tho it rained pretty hard night before, the trail was mostly mud free. The group were all in great hiking shape and I ended up at the back of the line...
We had a long line of hikers just zooming up the trail. I was in back snapping my ton of pictures.
 The line started getting a bit more separated as the  faster hikers started to pull away from the slower.
Over cast days just work out perfectly when you are on top of the ridges. Even taking pictures is easier!! Great lighting!
After not too long, we hit the dreaded stairs!! If you like stairs, you will love Hawaii Loa Ridge but if you are like me, you will end up hating stairs!! lol
Looking back towards the ocean, we came pretty far. This trail is a pretty fast pace until you hit the stairs. Id recommend hiking pole, micro spikes, and some gloves! Unless you like slipping alot.
You can tell how muddy it is!  Going up muddy trails isnt as bad as going down them! The further up the trail you go, the steeper it gets and the muddier and slippery it gets!

Had to take at least one shot of Diamond head! Nice and sunny looking over there.

Almost getting to the top!! Still great day but just by luck, my camelpak hose came out and it didnt work ugh. I had my two litres on my front pouch so had ton of water but just irritating carry that thing and it not working lol.
A tree screaming black/white shot!! Still didnt come out like I wanted tho... guess will have to try again later.

And made it to the top!! Since I was bringing up the rear, I got to take a ton of rests so by time I got to top, I was like I didnt even hike!! Loved it!
 And stats to the top, little over 2 miles with 1700 feet in climbing. Not that bad.
When we reached the top, I was wondering where the rest of the group disappeared to.. Then I looked to the west and saw..
There they are!! They were waiting so long they went of exploring!!  Looked pretty steep and muddy to me ...
Weather started to look worse so we headed down the trail. Thats the part I was dreading, going down all those slippery, muddy steps! Just was wondering how long would i get before I'd go splat!! And right off the bat, took a few steps and whooosh... lol slipped but caught myself with my hands!! Only counts as a fall if your butt hits the ground!!
Oh oh, the lead group is leaving us behind already!! If you look closely, you can see them in the middle of the shot. Boy are they fast!
She's trying to be careful on the slippery spots!! One wrong move and ...... mud!!
Few parts had a nice breeze blowing so really helped. Hmm, somehow Im at the rear of the pack again!!
Once you get pass the steps, its pretty smooth sailing! Except when you reach the slippery roots!

If you look at the top of the picture, you can see how far ahead the leaders are!! Think they had on running shoes!!

Still muddy but not that bad. I dont think anyone fell during the hike. Some muddy okoles from butt sliding down some parts but nothing bad. Great group!

 She giving me the smile of encouragement!!  All the people in this group were soo friendly! If you want to join a fun group, sign up with them!!
I think I can see the end of the trail!! I kept telling them that and no one believed me after while!!
To me I see two heads, one on left is looking slightly to his right and the one of right side is whispering into his ear! Or am I too tired on the hike and seeing things lol
And final tally for the hike: little over 4 miles and almost 2,200 feet in climbing! Great workout on a nice day!
 Id like to thank all the members of H.O.T. for letting me join them and having a great hike. Can't wait to go out with them again. Now if only I didnt forget my hiking sticks in the back of that truck lol.








No comments:

Post a Comment